back to reality

The ride back to Auckland that afternoon was quiet and sleepy, with many of us dozing off periodically in the back of the van. I, too, felt my eyelids growing heavy, and had to fight to keep them open as we cruised through the sea of green hills on our way back to the city. Grey-white clouds slunk back into the sky as we put distance between ourselves and the Shire. By the time the Auckland Sky Tower came back into view through our windshield, thin, wraith-like clouds threatened to shroud its top.

I shivered involuntarily as I climbed out of the van fifteen minutes later. Without the sun, there was a chill in the evening air, and I wasn’t wearing enough layers. I gave Vic a big hug after he finished unloading our bags from the back of the van.

“Thanks for everything, Vic,” I said. “It was just as great the second time around.”

“No worries; anytime,” he said, hugging me back. “Hopefully we’ll see you again soon.”

I hoped so, too. Because, looking up at the dreary sky, and down congested Queen Street, I found myself already missing the Shire. Standing on the gum-stained pavement in the fading light, we seemed so far from the pristine green of Middle-Earth. For the time being, at least, we were back to reality.

No comments: